Recipe From Phillippa’s Home Baking
- 60g chopped pancetta
- 2 table spoons chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- 1 small clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 eggs
- 120g pecorino, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 129g fine fresh white bread crumbs
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve (optional)
- 1kg chicken bones
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 litres water
- salt (optional)
- Start with the chicken broth. Place the chicken bones, vegetables, peppercorns and water in a large saucepan and simmer very gently for 2 hours, skimming off any impurities that rise to the surface. Strain, discarding the solids. Taste and season with a little salt if needed, then pour the broth into a clean medium saucepan.
- Place the pancetta, chives and garlic in a food processor and blend to paste. Add the eggs, pecorino, breadcrumbs and pepper and process until the mixture forms a ball. Using clean hands, shape into 2cm balls.
- Heat the broth over medium heat until simmering. Using a slotted spoon, gently lower the dumplings into the broth and simmer for about 5 minutes, using the spoon to roll the dumplings around. As soon as they rise to the surface they are ready.
- Spoon the dumplings into warmed bowls, ladle over the chicken broth and garnish with a little pecorino, chives and Parsley (if using). Serve immediately.
- Phillippa’s Pecorino & Pancetta Dumplings in Chicken Broth. Photo by Mark Chew Styling by Caroline Velik