- 115g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 185ml milk
- 500ml cream
- ½ vanilla bean, split & scrape seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 6 hot cross buns (about 100g each)
- 50g currants
- 50gm unsalted butter
- Individual ramekins about 100-150ml each
- Preheat oven 10 120°C
- Mix sugar, eggs, milk, cream, vanilla bean and zest for the custard. Strain through sieve and put in a large jug.
- Slice the buns into three circles, using the top of the buns to make the lid for the ramekins. Cut the bottom third in to quarters. Save the middles for toast
- Butter the ramekins and put 3 or 4 pieces of bun into the bottom of each.
- Divide the currents between the ramekins. Pour custard, leaving about 1cm from the top
- Push the lids on so that they are covered by the custard and leave for at least half an hour to soak it up. (Preferably longer) Top up with a little more custard if required. Leave for 20 mins to absorb the custard.
- Place ramekins in a large baking dish half-filled with hot water and bake 60 – 75 minutes until set.
- Serve immediately